4 lamb shoulder steaks
1 medium cabbage, quartered; core removed
1 large onion
1 14 oz. can chicken broth (about 2 cups)
- flour, salt, pepper, butter
|Notes from Grete:
My crock pot is not six quart like most of those available now. It is more like 3-4 quarts.
I sort of adapted this recipe from the “From
Danish Kitchens” cookbook, St. Johannes Congregation Danish
Evangelical Lutheran Church, (page 47). In there it is called
brun med faa rekod.
- Trim large pieces of fat off of lamb, but leave the bones in (for flavor).
- Slice the cabbage about ¼-in. thick.
- Slice the onion about ¼ thick.
- Cut the lamb steaks into pieces, about 2 inches or so.
- Dry the lamb and sauté in a frying pan until brown.
- Layer the cabbage, onion & lamb pieces in the crock pot, sprinkling
flour, salt and pepper each time.
- End with a layer of cabbage.
- Put some of the broth into the frying pan to get up the brown bits.
- Pour over the layers; then add the rest of the broth.
- Cover and cook on low all day (at least 6 hours). It smells wonderful!.
- Serve with boiled potatoes(or bread for soaking up juice.